Friday 21 April 2017

Easy as pie vegan pancakes (substitutes listed)

                                        Fruity breakfast pancakes

Protein packed breakfast pancakes. 



I get a lot of questions on how to make vegan pancakes especially because the original recipe is filled with animal products but there are several ways you can replace them.

Eggs
Some people use egg replacers or flaxseeds as an egg substitute. Or you could also use a banana or apple sauce. I personally don't substitute my eggs and the pancakes still turn out fine.

Milk 
So you have an option of several kinds of milk, almond, oat, soya, cashew, hemp and rice . (All the ones I can think of)
When I make my pancakes I use water instead of milk and the pancakes still come out as tasty. 

Butter
Margarine and other plant based butters are your easiest option. Brands include ; flora, Alpro and some supermarket brands. 1sp of oil is also perfectly fine, and I prefer to use 1tsp of olive oil because it's more natural than plant based butters . 

 Flour
Flour is vegan! For everyone who has asked, so any flour you use is fine. I like my pancakes to be as fibre filled as possible so instead of regular flour I usually blend oats into oat flour, this makes the recipe gluten free.  Be warned when using gluten free flours, always add 1tsp of oil because the absence of gluten makes the pancakes hard to bind and oil will make it easier to do.

So now I've suggested some substitutes , let's jump right into the recipe! 


First thing we do is add some flour and sugar into a mixing bowl.
Then if you are using an egg substitute go on and add that in too, if not then skip this step.
Add the liquid of your choice; water vs non dairy milk.
Mix the mixture until smooth . For thick pancakes leave the batter thick as if you're baking a cake, if not make it a little runny .
Melt the butter if you've chosen to use butter then add 1 tsp of it to the mixture, if using oil do the same but with oil
Mix thoroughly .

Now when we get to the cooking stage, we can either use non dairy butter or oil. I use spray oil because it distributes better and has less calories and fat.
Once the pan in hot, i pour as many mini circles as I can and wait till the sides of the pancakes start to form bubbles , when the bubbles forms flip the half baked pancakes over.
Continue until you're out of mixture and voila !
Pancakes are done.

If you noticed I didn't give any measurements because I don't generally weigh my food when I make it, I just go with the flow.

But yeah that's it, hope you liked my recipe x 

No comments:

Post a Comment